Nursing Degree Scholarships
How to Find Nursing Scholarships
When you're looking for nursing college scholarships, there are a lot of websites out there to choose from. Looking through the information on nursing scholarship websites could seem like an overwhelming or time-consuming task, but your efforts will pay off when you identify the right scholarships to help you pursue the career of your dreams!
Federal & State Nursing Scholarships
United States government websites are a great place to start when looking for nursing scholarship programs.
- The U.S. Department of Health & Human Services offers an array of financial aid websites to help you navigate through a number of the available scholarships and grants for nursing programs: http://www.hrsa.gov/help/healthprofessions.htm. One trick to uncovering additional scholarships is to look for those that are broadly geared toward health professions, so students specifically pursuing a nursing degree are eligible as well.
- The DHHS offers their own Nursing Scholarship Program, which is a need-based program and requires that the applicant be enrolled in an accredited RN training program.
- You might consider looking into state scholarships for nursing as well, in which case you should contact your state Department of Education for information: http://www.ed.gov/about/contacts/state/index.html.
Professional Association Nursing Scholarships
Professional nursing associations also offer a wealth of information when it comes to finding financial aid for nursing programs. Many associations award their own nursing scholarships through foundations, and they can often validate those other scholarships offered by third parties:
- American Association of Colleges of Nursing: http://www.aacn.nche.edu/Education/financialaid.htm
- National Student Nurses Association: www.nsna.org
- Emergency Nurses Association: www.ena.org
- American Nurses Association's NursingWorld: http://www.nursingworld.org/EspeciallyForYou/StudentNurses/GettingStarted.aspx
Other Nursing Scholarships
There are also nursing scholarship websites that allow you to search through a vast database of available scholarships. Depending on your eligibility, these websites will show you which nursing scholarships fit the criteria you searched for.
- FastWeb: http://www.fastweb.com. This scholarship search service is not specific to nursing programs, but by entering in a few details, you'll be matched quickly to a number of scholarships that you might qualify for.
Sandra Proulx is content contributor for CourseAdvisor